The Traditional Scottish Highland Games
Posted on by Jo Page
The Highland Games is an extremely popular event for locals and tourists alike throughout May to September all over the Highlands in approximately 80 cities, towns, villages and islands.
Highland Games are a great mix of traditional events such as heavy athletics, including tug o war, caber toss, shot put and weight for height throw. You will also see pipe band and Highland dance competitions.
As well as the traditional activities to watch there is always a good spread of local small businesses and craft sellers attending and the chance to taste some local fresh and traditionally Scottish fayre!
A Highland Games event would be a fantastic addition to any campervan or motorhome holiday or Highland road trip, here are some useful websites to help with your planning!
Visit Scotland has a great deal of information about the Highland Games activity on their website, Click HERE to be directed straight to the Highland Game information, they also provide a great online brochure that would come in very handy.
The Scottish Highland Games association has a full diary of events on their website HERE
To wet your appetite for what you may see, here is a great Visit Scotland video on how to toss a caber!
- Campervan Holidays
- Freedom Camping
- Highland Campervans
- Highland Dancing
- Highland Games
- Hylander campervan
- Hyundai Hylander
- Pipe bands
- Road trip
- toss the caber
- visit scotland
- 02 Feb 2018 Road trip planning for Outlander fans!
- 14 Dec 2017 360 degree Virtual Tours
- 02 Nov 2017 North Coast 500 - Highland Campervans rough guide
- 30 Oct 2017 Scottish Outdoor and Leisure Awards
- 10 Oct 2017 Junior Workshop Technician - We are hiring!
- 29 Jul 2017 Read all about it!
- 09 May 2017 Watch our new video!
- 10 Feb 2017 Highland Campervans is 10!
- 12 Jan 2017 We are recruiting for a Workshop Co-Ordinator.
- 11 Jan 2017 Competition Time! Win Tickets for the Scottish Caravan and Motorhome Show at SECC!
Our first campervan experience, we very much enjoyed the freedom of the road.Saw a school of dolphins but no red squirrels, despite trying! A great trip, we will return to Scotland.