Terms and Conditions
HIGHLAND CAMPERVANS TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Version dated 01/10/2022
Amendment relating to damage deposit valid from 1st Oct 2022 - see 2nd bullet point in section 9.
Your contract with Highland Campervans comes into existence when we send confirmation of your booking. You should check the details carefully to ensure it reflects your booking requirements and inform us immediately if there are any discrepancies. If you commit any breach of this agreement, we are within our rights to terminate the contract. In this situation we will not be liable for any refunds, compensation or other losses or expenses, including any onward travel arrangements.
- Must be aged between 21 and 79. Hirers outside of these limits can be considered by our insurers and if approved, may be subject to additional premiums.
- Must have held a full valid UK driving licence for more than 2 years - or international equivalent (please contact office to check for any exclusions)
- Must have not been convicted of any criminal/driving offences other than minor speeding or parking offences. Up to 6 points is usually acceptable but will be referred to our insurers.
- Must have had no more than 3 accidents in the last 2 years. Non fault accidents must still be declared.
- Must declare if you suffer with any disabilities or infirmities that affect your ability to drive that need to be declared to the DVLA and/or been advised not to drive by the DVLA or medical grounds by a GP or medical personnel.
- Must declare if you have ever been refused motor insurance.
Additional drivers can be added at £5 per day, all drivers must be declared on the booking form.
- Fully comprehensive insurance for one driver is included within the hire cost.
- You are not covered for damage to your own personal possessions.
- You will be required to provide the following documents prior to your hire, it is your responsibility to ensure these documents are available, if you are unable to provide these documents we will not be able to provide you with the motorhome and you will not be given a refund.
- Driving Licence card with correct current address
- Two pieces of address identification from the following list, they must be no more than 90 days old (apart from the council tax bill which must be the most recent)
- Bank statement
- Credit card statement
- Council tax bill
- Utility bill – Gas, Electric or telephone (not mobile)
- You will be required to obtain a DVLA driving history share code so that we are able to confirm your driving history.
3. RATES, BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS.
- To secure dates you can book online via our website. Alteratively you can call us or email us with any enquiry before booking and we will happily help you.
- Once we receive your booking form we will create a full hire estimate and deposit invoice for 50% of the base hire cost.
- Payment of your deposit is due with 3 days to secure your booking.
- We accept cash, cheque, online banking transfers and card payments, please note that some credit cards are subject to charges, please enquire for the current rates.
- Full payment is due 4 weeks prior to your hire. Your final invoice will be the final 50% base hire costs plus any payable extras that you have requested on your booking form.
- If you book within 4 weeks of your hire the full amount is payable at the time of booking.
- If the balance is not paid within 7 days of your final invoice, we reserve the right to cancel your booking and retain your deposit.
- Prices and conditions quoted on our website and documentation are subject to change without notice.
- All prices are quoted and payable in UK pounds sterling. We are not responsible for any currency exchange rate charges or fees incurred.
- Once you have made your booking and paid your deposit, it is unlikely that the cost of your hire will change. This does not apply to invoice errors or omissions.
- If you have to make changes to your booking we will do our utmost to accommodate any changes, but it may not always be possible. The price of your hire could be subject to change.
- You may cancel your booking at any time by contacting us by phone or email.
- Cancellations more than 8 weeks before your arrival date - 25% of total cost is payable
- Cancellations between 8 and 4 weeks before your arrival date - 50% of total cost is payable
- Cancellations between 4 and 2 weeks before your arrival date - 75% of total cost is payable
- Cancellations less than 2 weeks before your arrival date - 100% of total cost is payable
- We strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance at the point of booking to cover the event that you may have to cancel your booking or that your booking is cancelled due to an unforeseen event out of our control.
- In the unlikely event, due to any unforeseen circumstance such as an accident, damage, theft or “force majeure”, we reserve the right to make any necessary changes to your booking. We will aim to offer you another vehicle as close to your specification as possible if one is available. If the replacement vehicle is smaller or less well equipped, we will refund the difference in price. If the vehicle is larger than your original booking you will not be held liable for any higher rental charges. We will not be responsible for any costs or charges that you may incur from having a larger vehicle (such as increased ferry charges). If it is not possible to provide you with a suitable replacement vehicle we will refund your hire in full. We regret that we cannot accept responsibility or pay any compensation or expenses where we have not been able to provide a suitable alternative for reasons beyond our control.
- COVID 19 cancellation policy can be found HERE
- Our hire vehicles have their own individual collection and return times. We run a very tight schedule and vehicles must be collected and returned at the time specified upon booking, unless prior agreement has been obtained to change the collection/return time.
- Please respect our return times so that we have enough time to clean and prepare the van for the next customers as we would have done for you. Please remember that it may take time to fuel the vehicle before your return and empty the vehicle of your possessions. We allow a grace period of 30 minutes before you will be liable for late return charges. You will be charged £50 if you are over 30 to 60 minutes late. More than 2 hours late will result in you being charged a full days hire rate.
- If you are in any doubt as to whether you will make the return time, please contact us on the office number or duty phone as soon as possible to notify us of possible delays.
- All of our motorhomes are dispatched from our base at Dalcross Inverness where you will receive an in depth handover of the vehicle that will take up to 1 hour.
- Your vehicle will be prepared and ready for collection in a clean condition with a full tank of fuel.
- To accommodate all customers handovers, please make sure that you arrive at the time agreed and confirmed prior to your hire otherwise you may experience a delay. Late collections will not be entitled to any refund.
7.USE OF THE VEHICLE
- No one other than the named drivers on the rental agreement are allowed to drive the vehicle.
- It is illegal to smoke inside a hire vehicle and any evidence of this will be subject to deep cleaning /damage charges.
- Do not allow animals in the vehicles unless you are hiring a designated pet friendly vehicle.
- Do not take the vehicle outside of the UK.
- Do not propel or tow any vehicle or trailer.
- Do not drive or permit any named driver to drive unfit through drink or drugs or with alcohol in their system above the legal limit. Remember it is a zero tolerance in Scotland.
- Do not leave the vehicle unlocked when unattended or fail to secure the keys.
- Do not take the vehicle off road. Stick to paved public highways, private roads and driveways unless driving onto an official campsite where we ask you to take due care and attention of the ground conditions.
- Do not drive in a reckless or careless manner.
- Do not carry more passengers than seat belts allow.
- Do not carry passengers or goods for hire or reward.
- You acknowledge that Highland Campervans retains the title of the vehicle at all times. You will not attempt, agree, offer or purport to sell, assign, sub-let, lend, let on hire, part with or attempt to part with the possession of the vehicle.
- You are entirely responsible for any speeding, parking, congestion or other road fines, charges or penalties incurred during your hire period.
8.RETURNING YOUR VEHICLE
- All returns are to our base at Dalcross, Inverness.
- All vehicles are to be returned on time, in a clean presentable condition with a full tank of fuel and an empty toilet cassette (You can empty your cassette at our base).
- Additional cleaning charges will apply if you return the vehicle in an unreasonable unclean condition.
- You will be charged £50 if you return your vehicle and your toilet cassette is not completely empty and clean.
- You will be subject to a fuel surcharge if the tank is not returned completely full. Charges will depend on the fuel level. There will also be a service charge to cover the staff time to drive and refuel the vehicle properly.
- Our damage excess is £1500 per damage incident.
- We will hold the damage deposit of £1500 at the beginning of the hire and it will be released at the end of the hire, on our online payment company called payment sense.
- When the vehicle is returned on time to our base, undamaged, with a clean interior and with a full fuel tank and empty toilet cassette, no charge will be made.
- We reserve the right to deduct monies from your deposit for the following reasons:-
- Exterior damage to the bodywork of the vehicle, including tyres, punctures, cuts and bursts, damage to windows, windscreens and wing mirrors.
- Damage to vehicle equipment, steps (electronic or manual), awnings and bike racks.
- Interior damage to the vehicle including burns, spillages, marking, damage to living or cooking equipment, damage or loss to in-car entertainment equipment.
- Damage to any payable extras you have hired.
- Any costs resulting from improper use or wilful misconduct of the vehicle.
- The cost of repairing or recovering a vehicle that became bogged.
- The cost of any fines or penalties resulting from an offence against the road traffic act, i.e, parking, congestion charges and/or fines.
- The cost of replacing keys which have been lost or stolen.
- Incorrect or illegal use of fuel or water contamination of fuel.
- You will be charged for the daily hire rate that the vehicle is unusable or undergoing repairs.
- If damage occurs and we are unable to obtain repair quotes or a repair is not able to be completed immediately, we will hold onto your deposit until the works have been carried out and any refund due will only be payable after the repair. Please note this can be at the end of the season.
10.ACCIDENTS OR DAMAGES
- In the case of an accident, please ensure that you follow procedure:-
- Obtain the names and addresses of third parties, witnesses and registration numbers.
- Report accident to the police and any emergency services required.
- Do not accept blame or insist that the other party is at fault.
- Take photographs of scene and damage.
- Phone us at our base or on the duty phone.
- Complete accident report form in the vehicle and note everything down.
- Under no circumstances should you attempt to start or drive a vehicle that has been involved in an accident without permission.
- Depending on availability and at our discretion, we will endeavour to provide a substitute vehicle, subject to location and length of hire remaining.
- All hire vehicles have comprehensive roadside breakdown cover.
- You will notify us immediately should any vehicle warning lights indicate a potential malfunction or if a breakdown has occurred.
- When on hire you have a daytime office number and duty mobile number for out of hours help should you need it.
- If a repair cannot be completed within 24 hours and the breakdown was not a result of reckless, negligent or imprudent use of the vehicle, we will endeavour to provide a replacement vehicle if available or make alternative arrangements such as car hire. We will not be liable for any other costs.
Scotland Through an AI Lens: Where’s best on the UNESCO Trail for campervans? Images by VisitScotland Campervanning in Scotland is almost synonymous with the NC500 route. Whilst the NC500 is an excellent way to experience the Full Article...
Jo & the team answered all our questions very quickly and gave us lots of advice on places to stay/visit. The whole booking process was very easy and efficient. Can't recommend them highly enough.